Yesterday we had to say goodbye to Belle, the little redheaded dog that my parents have had since I was 14. I went through some rough times as a teenager and she was always there to sleep at the end of my bed or cuddle with me and give me much needed comfort. Even after I was married and lived across the country I would come to visit and she would get so excited, wiggling her whole body and greeting me at the door.
We trained her to come when we called "cookie!" and it was so funny to watch her come lickity split through the house at the promise of a little treat. I used to start howling and she would join in and we'd do a nice little rendition of annoying noise, just because we could. The last few years her hearing hasn't been so great, so we haven't been able to do that much, though I don't know if anyone else missed it like I do!
She has been around for my kids' whole lives, and it will be very strange to go to Grandma and Grandpa's and not have her furry little presence to greet us. Blake wanted to know why we weren't burying her in a real cemetery. I guess they feel like a part of the family shouldn't just be put in a box in a hole in the backyard, it took some convincing that she would be happier there.
When we went to say goodbye I told Kade that she would be going to Heaven to be with Heavenly Father and Jesus. He was adamant that we should just take her home with us and take care of her.
If only it were that easy.
Rest in peace "Belly Button", we sure will miss you!

3 comments:
Sad, sad day. My kids wanted to know why she didn't go to a cemetery as well...RIP Belle.
:(
always so sad to lose a pet...they are such a part of the family.
So sad. : ( The most I have ever grieved over any death was when our family dog died when I was a kid. They really are a part of the family and leave a hole when they're gone : (
Post a Comment