Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Bruiser

We used to call Trevor "Bruiser" when he was a baby because he was big and tough.  I am now starting to use the nickname for Sophie because she is turning out to be quite the daredevil.  She is constantly pulling up to standing now and walking around furniture.  The more she does this, the more she inevitably loses her balance and knocks her head on something hard. 

 Here's today's newest bruise:

If you can't really see it, it is the nice purple spot in the center of her forehead.  

Poor kid.  

On Sunday during Sharing Time she started coughing.  I went over and picked her up and then she started choking.  In my head I panicked and held out my hand for her to spit up in.  Then I grabbed a barf rag and she really started choking and throwing up.  The Primary President (who happens to be a nurse) stopped what she was doing and came over at that point.  I was so grateful that she was there to help if I had needed her!  Sophie seemed to be ok and stopped gagging/choking when I put her sort of upside down on my lap.  I told Sister Browning that I was going to go clean her up a bit and walked down to the kitchen.  When I got there she started coughing again and then I noticed the end of a little piece of plastic (kind of looked like tape) rolling around in her mouth.  I pulled it out and she was back to her normal, happy self.  

Experiences like this make me freak out on the inside (and sometimes outside) in a big way.  

It is great to see a baby reach new milestones and all, but I am constantly scanning each room I walk into for little choking hazards and I can almost always find one or two.  The scary thing about Sunday was that she hadn't been on the ground at all.  Someone had been holding her the whole time.  The only thing I can think of is that the plastic must have been in my diaper bag from a wrapper or something and attached itself to the little toy she was playing with.  

Everything turned out just fine, but I will probably have nightmares for the next few weeks over that one.


1 comment:

Beccarigg said...

Stuff like that is SO scary! Brinley had a scary choking incident with an apple when she was almost a year old and it landed her in an emergency room OR having surgery to get it out! WORST experience of my life! Now all the little moments freak me out! Comforting that sis Browning is a nurse and was there to help if needed. Milestones are awesome but you're right, the more mobile they get the more they keep you on your toes!