I have a new hobby. I know, I know. I have too many. But this one benefits multitudes of people with one of my favorite things next to cupcakes...CAKE!
I have been cutting my icing teeth on decorating cupcakes since I watched my sister in law, Julie, make them during my other sil's wedding weekend two years ago. I bought a few basic tips and have been known to whip out little beauties like these and these when the fancy stikes me. I would in no way call myself an expert, but I enjoy the creating and, of course, the eating process of a good cupcake now and then.
With our Relief Society birthday thing a ma jig coming up, our R.S. Presidency offered a class in cake decorating with the intent of teaching some basics in the hope that the sisters who attended would bring in decorated cakes to celebrate the occasion. Who would I be if I didn't bite off more than I could chew at least forty or fifty times a month? You guessed it. Not me. So my sister and I and our toddlers (and an extra one just to shake things up) spent the day last Thursday decorating cakes.
I went with a Devil's Food cake mix by Duncan Hines, because while I may be nutty enough to attempt to decorate the stupid thing, there was NO way I was going to make one from scratch to boot! I did two nine inch round cakes and split both in half to make a four layer concoction of rich, velvety chocolate. Mmmmm.
The best part? For filling I could have used the buttercream (that I made from scratch cause it just tastes better), but again, who would I be? So I used a little trick Julie told me about and went for a filling of....wait for it....hot fudge. You know, like the stuff you put on a sundae. In fact that is the aisle you buy it in. I wish I had a picture of the inside...but I don't.
I went for a simplistic design in brown and pink because I pretty much never get to see any pink around my house for birthdays. The brown was not chocolate but just brown coloring. Again, I wish I had taken pictures of that frosting during the process of trying to color it brown. It looked soooo unappealing for so long that I almost cried. Let's just say that when I went to do a few practice runs with a simple round tip I almost had a heart attack when Jennifer and I stood back and realized that little "polka dots" made with a plain round tip resemble very closely something that you wouldn't put in your mouth...unless you were a dog (I hear they do that sort of thing). So I moved on to the shell tip and breathed a huge sigh of relief when the frosting came out looking like, well, shells.
All in all I deem the experience a success. Think of all the money I will save with my newfound skill! Next time I might even attempt to do a flower or two...I wonder if Kade would mind flowers on his birthday cake?
5 comments:
Hummm . . .manly flowers. I'll have to think about that one. But your cake looks awesome! And I'm sure it's mighty tasty. Do you remember all the cake decorating classes we did in YW's?? That's when I go interested. It's super fun! But you totally have a steadier hand than I do. Nice work on the scrolly lookin' stuff =)
You and Jennifer are da bomb! Seriously you are both so talented. I was SO bummed that I had to miss the RS party. But, with Joe being asked to speak, someone had to run the kids to practice, work, and life. I was a little aggravated since it was supposed to be MY party!
Hot fudge filling!? MUST HAVE IT!!!! Seriously! Not only does it look amazing, but it sounds divine! I want to be a part of this new hobby. If not the decorating part then at least the eating part ; )
Kristen! I love it =]. I might even do Kale's cake pink now... that's just too cute, lol.
You are so funny Kristen! my mom loves decorating cakes she said you can never get a nice dark brown or a black.
Post a Comment