Monday, March 8, 2010

Cupcake Manna

On Friday night the Young Women in our ward had a spaghetti dinner fundraiser with a bake sale auction to earn money for Girl's Camp. I signed up to take noodles when I was still the Laurel advisor and decided to take some cupcakes as well. I was perusing some blogs last week and came across one where the author made cupcakes with a whole Oreo in the center and got super excited. What could be more perfect than a marriage of two of my favorite things, cupcakes and Oreos?!

I just had to make some of my own, and since I haven't done much baking lately in my quest to be ready for non-layering-of-the-clothing weather, I decided I'd take the majority of them to the bake sale.

They turned out better than I had even hoped, and, as my bro in law said, they were some pretty cool cupcakes.

I am going to take the risk of putting pictures of them up, so please don't lick your computer monitor!



 I used Betty Crocker's chocolate fudge cake mix. To get the Oreo in the center I put a little batter in the cupcake cup, put the cookie on top, then put some more batter over the cookie to almost fill the cupcake cup. I was going to make my own buttercream but had too much of a time crunch and went with some canned whipped vanilla frosting that I got almost free a few months ago. Then I simply crunched up some Oreos and sprinkled them on top for "garnish".

Did you know that a full serving of Oreos is only three cookies? This may be a warped way of looking at it, but I figure that you're good if you can only eat two of these babies, and you are under the serving allowance for Oreos. So go ahead, eat two.

5 comments:

The Peters Family said...

Dang! Those look sooo good!

lisapenn said...

Caden won those! And I didn't even get one!

Jennifer and Clay said...

Those were pretty good...and very rich! Emma and Reagan fought over the last one you gave us, so we had to split it in half.

mjseavers said...

That's so funny that you would post about that. My sis-in-law Heidi (she married Mike) is waaaay into experimenting with cupcakes and she just did one like that. They totally look super yummy. And now that it feels like everyone is making them, I just might have to jump on that bandwagon!!! If you ever have a sec and I don't think she has it blocked . . .but check out her blog:
http://heidijansson.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-cupcakenot-sure-what-to-call-it.html

Norma said...

Yum, I may just have to make these