A few months ago Blake came home from school waving a piece of paper that turned out to be the results of a vision screening they had done at school that day. It said that we should probably have his eyes checked by a professional (apparently they had trained monkeys do it at the school or something) because his right eye had failed. Not quite knowing what that meant and dealing with my own medical and dental drama at the time, I did what I now feel like a total jerk for...I put it off.
We actually have pretty good vision insurance, so when I finally found the cards and papers that told me which optometrists I could take him to it was pretty cut and dry. I was a little skeptical about the whole thing considering that he never complained about being blind before they brought it to his attention and it seemed a little coincidental that he has a new buddy at school who just happens to wear glasses. Turns out he wasn't kidding...he is near sighted. 20/40, which isn't horrible, but as he gets older it will get worse.
Here he is at Walmart Vision Ctr. picking out his new specs. Doesn't he look smart?
I had to include the bottom picture because my boys are just so stinkin handsome. And I must say that it actually wasn't a horrible experience considering that we were there for an hour and a half at dinner time and Kade was stuck in the stroller in a dirty diaper cause I am a goob and left the diapers and wipes at home (oops). The lady who helped us pick Blake's glasses out even complimented me on how well behaved they were...and that is something that almost NEVER happens anymore when all three of them are together in public.
If I wasn't already on a major guilt trip for neglecting my poor blind kid's eyes for so long I might actually be a little proud of myself.
Since picking up his frames last Friday Blake is super proud of them. He wears them pretty much all the time and calls attention to them whenever he can. This said, I am just super happy that they have a year warranty on them and that they only cost me the copay to begin with!


3 comments:
I love the "trained monkey's" reference. Seems appropriate! He is so stinkin' cute with the new specs. Somehow kids look so grown up and intelligent. I never wished for glassed when I was young because all I had to go by were my two sisters who wore glasses for driving and even though those suckers weren't thick, they did take up half their face. Nowadays they are sleek, cool and smart looking. I could always use a little help in the cool and smart categories =)
Aw, he looks so smart : ) Love the last pic of the boys, the ARE so handsome, seriously! Can I reserve 2 for my girls : ) And don't feel bad about forgetting the diaper and wipes. Happens to all of us!
We never knew Parker was blind for YEARS! He is a stud with those glasses. And um, I am pretty sure I have asked you for wipes and/or diapers at least a dozen times at church!
Post a Comment