Friday, January 29, 2010

Mother of the Year

I already posted this on Facebook, but to the few of you who are not on there, here you go:

On Wednesday Blake came home from school all excited because he'd pulled out a tooth on his own. He didn't talk about it after that so I promptly forgot and didn't play Tooth Fairy that night.

Yesterday morning he came in to the kitchen where I was making lunches for school, crying, holding a bag with a little tooth in it because the Tooth Fairy had dissed him. Oooops. I pulled out some lame excuse like, "Well, she gets busy, just like I do, so I am sure she didn't forget, she probably just didn't make it here before you woke up." I know, lame, but it was the best I could come up with at the spur of the moment. They really need a book of good excuses to give your kid when something like this happens!

I continued making lunches and getting the kids ready and out the door for school...which wasn't so easy considering that Blake locked the keys in the car after he turned it on to defrost it. Fast forward to six hours later when I picked them up from school. Trevor got in the car waving a small plastic container all excited about how he was eating his chips at lunch and he bit down on something hard and when he investigated he pulled out a tooth. Distracted by driving, I asked which one. "It was from the back on the left!" he said. "Yikes!" I thought to myself, "He lost a molar at six years old?" I told him I'd take a look when we got home.

At home I did a thorough search of his mouth and couldn't figure out where the dang thing had come from. The tooth he showed me had Dorito dust on it, so I was sure it had come from his mouth, visions of more dental bills started dancing in my head, but I figured I would take a closer look later and forgot about it in the frenzy of trying to keep the boys from tearing the house down in their after-school hyperness.

I am sure you are probably a whole lot smarter than I am and can already see where this is going.

I left Chad with the boys around 7:30 and went to a sewing lesson at my mom's house. When I came home a few hours later Chad was sitting on the couch with his new best friend named Laptop. I happened to glance at the top of the computer cabinet and saw the little plastic container with Trevor's tooth in it, which jogged my memory. "Did Trevor show you his tooth?" I asked. This got me THE LOOK from Chad.

Apparently after I left Chad started bedtime and Trevor was all excited about the Tooth Fairy coming. This prompted Blake to start looking for his tooth so the Tooth Fairy could finally bring him his reward. He went into the kitchen where he swore he left it in it's little sandwich bag, exactly in the spot where I was making lunches that morning. Now, I don't use baggies for sandwiches, we have little plastic sandwich holders. But I do use them for chips. I must have grabbed the bag with the tooth in it and used it for Trevor's Doritos.

It is a good thing Chad is so much smarter than me, because he was able to put "tooth and tooth" together and figure out that Trevor's lost tooth was actually Blake's lost tooth. Then he spent the next twenty minutes calming Trevor down because he believed with every fiber of his being that it was his. I got to miss all the fun and felt like the worst parent on Earth when I came home.

Yeah. Yesterday was a total "here's your sign" day for me...I will definitely be checking every baggie that I use for lunches very thoroughly from now on!

3 comments:

lisapenn said...

I am rolling here. That is so blonde! Um, something I would probably do too.

mjseavers said...

HAHAHAHAHAA . . .oh that's about all I can get out right now! Holy crap that's funny. You know they'll laugh about it later with you. "Hey Trevor, you remember when mom put Doritos in my tooth bag and gave it to you for your lunch and YOU thought you lost a tooth too??? Oh that silly Mom of ours!!" I love it!

Norma said...

that's so gross and funny!