Sunday, January 24, 2010

The M Project

I have been seeing initials everywhere lately. Mostly in stores that are out of my budget but I like to visit just to see how the other half lives, and maybe gain some inspiration now and then. A few weeks ago I was in Hobby Lobby and noticed that they carry unfinished and unadorned chipboard letters and I thought, "Hmmm. I could do something with that."

Then life got in the way, as life sometimes does. Yesterday I realized I still had a %40 off coupon and it would be sacrilege to allow it to expire without at least browsing through their non-sale areas. So I dragged my little bro (who just happened to drive up as I was driving out) with me to HoLo (we are on very familiar terms so I can call it that) and I found this:

This is what it looked like after I pulled out my trusty black acrylic paint and gave it a coat:




































Here it is after I decided I wasn't happy with how it looked once I cut scrapbook paper to fit, used doublestick tape in a few places to stick it on and put a layer of Mod Podge over it. I tore that paper right back off and sanded 'er down. Yes folks, I do make mistakes...I know, I know the shock is pretty intense on that one. Of course if you have been reading my blog at all the past two years (Yikes, has it already been that long?) you would already have known this and not be shocked at all!


Voila! The finished M after I stuck scrapbook paper on with a glue stick so it didn't bubble up when I applied the Mod Podge, and then applied three coats of Mod Podge. The only thing I am not thrilled with is the glossiness of it, so next time (and my friends there will. be. a. next. time.) I will use matte finish Mod Podge.

I don't think the picture really does it justice (again, cursed glossiness!) but I am pretty happy with it. This has opened up a whole realm of opportunities for next Christmas because I didn't tell you the best part. The unfinished M was $1.99 regular price. With %40 off I got it for $1.31. The scrapbook paper that I used was on clearance weeks ago for $.10...though I ended up using two sheets because I messed up the first time around. I already had a jar of Mod Podge and the acrylic paint on hand, so altogether out of pocket yesterday afternoon for this fast and easy project was $1.51...even Chad couldn't argue with that price! The total time spent on it was about an hour, because I had to wait for paint and Mod Podge to dry, so it was not only cost effective, but time effective as well!



5 comments:

mjseavers said...

So whose the B&W of?? And the gun??? What's that story . . .I'm guess the 'M' is for McGhie. I love the whole display though!! Super cute. Now I'd love to hear about the rest of your display =)

The Peters Family said...

looks good! and good job with the thriftiness-you inspire me!

lisapenn said...

I love your craftiness. I can't think of stuff like that, but I sure can copy. I'll just use you for my inspiration from now on!

Kyria said...

I like it! I even like the glossy-ness! I am slowly trying to be as cute and crafty as you!

Norma said...

if you use a spray bottle with water to first mist your paper before attaching it with mod podge it doesn't bubble.