Monday, July 18, 2011

Yo Ho Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me!




 Kade's 4th birthday has come and gone.  

We partied it up pirate style this year in honor of our sweet little man. Yeah, yeah, if you look back a few years you might remember that Trevor's 4th birthday (which was actually his 1st birthday) was a pretty cool pirate party, but I think Kade's was better times ten.  Now that it is over I am reminded of why I only do parties like that for my kids every four years or so...they are a lot of work!

 I was holding a sinus infection at bay the week that I was getting ready for the party, but now that it is over I have allowed it to kick my hiney for a few days.  I promise to be back up and running around with some crazy new scheme in a few days...at least that is what the pharmacist told me when she handed me my antibiotic.

I half heartedly tried to talk Chad into dressing up like Black Beard, but he isn't in to calling that kind of attention to himself.  Instead he rose to the occasion by helping the boys clean the house and hanging some of the decorations.  He was such a huge help, I could not have done it without him.  The boys were great too.  Of course, cupcakes and party games are a major motivator and they didn't disappoint.  My sister and bro in law took Kade for the day so we could get ready a little easier.  My parents showed up and helped cut fruit and veggies for the food table.  I owe everyone who helped a huge thank you, we appreciate all of your love and support!

Here is a nice little photo recap of the big event:

The sign on the door says "Welcome Aboard".

We had fruit skewers and veggie cups with a sign that said "Prevent Scurrrvy", as well as several chips and dips to choose from.  There was also Swedish Fish and Goldfish crackers with a sign that said "Go Fish".

My homemade cupcake stand.  Would you believe that it is made out of a  box and some cans of soup?

Chad took streamer hanging duty very seriously.

The food table. The banner in the back says "Happy Birthday".

The loot table.  When the kids came in they made a bookmark that they could take home with them.  At the end they also got a goody bag with a ring pop, some smarties, a rubber snake or lizard and a little rubber cannon ball.

We broke the kids up into two groups since there were so many and had Blake lead one group and Zach lead the other around to the different party games.

They played Pin the Patch on the Pirate, Musical Chairs and Digging for Buried Treasure in the sandbox.





I took several shots before I realized that the birthday boy was hiding in the back.

That's better. Sort of.
He had been waiting all day to dig in to one of these bad boys.
Of course Alyssa chose chocolate.
Girlfren's got opinions!
I don't know which is more scrumptious, the redhead or the cupcake!
I think his bliss just says it all.
Ashleigh and Kade, cousins born on the same day two years apart.
The Three Muskateers, all born in July in three consecutive years.
Reagan found his happy place right below the cupcake stand.
We've entered into the 4 year old weird photo expression  phase.
yay.
He had so much fun, he insisted on sleeping with some of his presents.

Trevor has never left the weird photo expression phase.

This one was pretty impressed when he bit into his vanilla cupcake to find an Oreo buried in the center.
He is my kind of kid.
He insisted that I take another shot with his patch  on correctly.
Apparently this was the big boy table.
It is so funny to listen in on the conversations that little kids have with each other.
 I wish I could remember what the two on the right are laughing about.
I confiscated the wooden skewers before anyone had to go home with a reason  to wear an eye patch.
Safety first you know.


Kade has always been such a bright spot in our world.  It was fun to celebrate him and to see the joy on his face.  And it will be fun when we do it again in another four years next year!


Happy Birthday Kade!










4 comments:

The Peters Family said...

That was fun seeing all the pictures.
Anna told me ALL about it. The cupcakes, games, food, etc. She says she likes celery now since she had it at your house. :)

Jennifer and Clay said...

It was a great party...makes me tired to think of all the work you did!

lisapenn said...

It WAS an absolutely wonderful party. And thanks a lot. Any party thrown now, will have to live up to the Pirate PArty! ; )
Definately a scrumptious little red head!

Beccarigg said...

WOW!!! I am so impressed! Seriously! That food spread alone get's 5 stars! And I can't believe you made that cupcake tower yourself. It looks awesome! It was so fun seeing pics of all the kids getting so big now! Anna and Abigail look so grown up, and Campbell, I totally remember going to his baby shower! Matthew too! How did they all get so big?!

Great party Kristin, All the work that goes into them is so exhausting but what awesome memories you created!