Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Eastering

Happy Easter!  

I love Spring in Tennessee, it is a beautiful sight to behold.  Unfortunately it has come at a high price (literally) this year as my allergies have kicked into overdrive and tried to kill me last week by shutting off my air supply.  I suffered for several days before I dragged my poor suffocating body into the Minute Clinic (which shows my desperation...the Minute Clinic is not the happiest place on earth for me) and came home with a heavy duty antibiotic, inhaler and steroid nose spray and instructions on how to stay alive.  

By Sunday I felt like a new woman, which was good because I sang a duet in Sacrament Meeting with a friend of mine.  We were both sweating it because the last practice we had together my voice couldn't hit any of the high notes...which was 80% of my part.  After we finished and I hadn't passed out or screeched like Scuttle from The Little Mermaid I did a mental fist pump and almost ran back to my seat.  Blake gave me a fist bump and told me it sounded great, and even though he was probably lying it meant the world to me!

Back to Easter. 
 I spent a few weeks before Easter gathering new clothes for the kiddos at various consignment stores and sales and made a new bow tie for Kade.  I think they looked pretty spiffy in their new duds:



Chad and I did not wear new clothes.  I know better than to suggest to him to try to match the rest of us or go to the work of making a bow tie for him to ignore, but he surprised me by wearing a pastel green tie. 

I simply can't believe how big the kids have gotten!  Blake and Trevor both have bigger feet and hands than me and only a few more inches until they are taller than me too.  They were pretty good sports about the forced photo session in the front yard too.

Blake age 12

Trevor age 10
Kade age 6 1/2

Sophie age 3


My parents got here Saturday night with Blake and Sophie (I spent Monday thru Weds. of last week in Murfreesboro for the boys' Spring Break and left those two behind) and we all enjoyed watching the kids play and discover what the Easter bunny brought them.  The weather was perfect and sunny and the Spirit at church was wonderful.  


We had the sister missionaries come to dinner and between my mom, dad, Chad and I we put on a huge dinner of ham, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, salad, rolls, deviled eggs and dessert.  The sisters were thrilled that the Easter bunny brought them their own little baskets and gave a great little lesson about hope.  

As my parents were getting ready to make the two hour drive home we were standing outside saying goodbye when Sophie came running out with no shoes on.  We told her to put some shoes on so she didn't ruin her socks and a few minutes later she came tromping out with her shoes on the wrong feet.  She marched right by us and announced, "I'm ready to go now Grandma!".  She fully expected them to load her up and take her home with them.  She wasn't too heartbroken after we promised that if she stayed we'd let her open her new bubbles.  

It was altogether a great weekend, but I sure was glad to sit down and relax with it all behind me!

I am grateful for the Atonement of our Savior, Jesus Christ and for my testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel.  What a gift this is in my life and to my family!  I am so grateful that we can be together forever and that we can return to live with our Heavenly Father.  In Family Home Evening last night we looked up scriptures about Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection and had corresponding symbols to go with each scripture.  It was very cool to watch the understanding dawn in the eyes of my children as they made the connections of how the symbols related.  

We have redoubled our efforts this year to hold regular FHE and scripture study and it has helped us in so many ways to grow closer as a family.  We are far from perfect and it is sometimes a struggle just to get all six of us in the same room for ten minutes, but we are seeing the blessings that come from our efforts and that will keep us motivated to stick with it.  




1 comment:

The Peters Family said...

Yay for a blog update! I can't believe your kids are as grown up as they are! You did a great job with everyone's clothes...as always.